"A very Merry Unbirthday to you, to you. A very Merry Unbirthday to you." from Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland"

Saturday, December 14, 2013

December Christmas QAL - Post 1 or Got Cookies? Times 2

In the Christmas QAL world, today's the day we show our stuff.  If you are late to the party, we were given a challenge by Sue of Quilt Times to create a Christmas quilting project that did not use any red or green and did not measure more than 96 inches total circumference.  In order to be part of Sue's drawing for a prize you also needed to participate in our once a month qal's at least 3 times.  There were a loyal group of quilters this year and I made new online friends and discovered new blogs I enjoy reading.  So for me, because the journey is the whole point, I feel very satisfied.

My project is from Quiltmaker magazine's Nov/Dec 2012 issue and is designed by Sonja Callaghan, who named it You Got Cookies?  (FYI to our Canadian friends, Sonja designs out of Vancouver.)

I made two of these guys because I love them.
I will post of picture of the measurements of one of the panels in another post because I forgot to do that, but one is only 12.5" by 15.5".  I'll also show a picture of the backs.
I used yarn from my stash for the pompoms, buttons from my late mother's old stash and felt for the hat brims and noses.  
Back in June or July when I began the first bear, I had never tried paper piecing.  This was an easy project to begin that method and although I did have some tense moments (spell that GRRRRR) I made the second bear and another small project, and I love paper piecing.  

I'll show some other stuff later, but now I want to visit the other quilters and see their projects.


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this pattern! How cute with the pom hats and added texture of the felt. So happy you mastered the art of paper piecing. And I love your white tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous bears. I love their pompom hats too. I'm scared of bears, but who could be frightened of these two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're adorable! Even Sue can't be afraid of them. And I LOVE your tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wouldn't love spending their Christmas with these guys! They are too cute! That Sue! Still jumpy over bears...no matter what we do to help her overcome that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable bears all decked out in their felt hats to keep them warm out there in the cold . Great job of PP , I still don't care for PP:-) Thanks for the QAL , it was fun .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Joanna, this is lovely. I saw the little guy with his blue hat and fell in love. With his sidekick beside him, the pair is perfect. I do like them hanging with your tree. Just a perfect setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Bears. I think I need to seek out a copy of that magazine before next Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the two of them beside each other! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore them and think you tackled the challenge with gusto, doing something new and enjoying it. Well done and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea, so much fun to have friends peeping in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The polar bears are stunning! I love the pair. Thanks for hosting this year the QAL was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would say they are Grrreat! I love how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. They make my day ;-)